As posted on Facebook, here are a few odd things about my life you may or may not know.
1. I have both danced in a tutu and dropped my pants – repeatedly – in front of paying audiences.
2. Because of my early years in southeast Texas and then near Golden, Colorado, just downwind of the Coors brewery, the two smells that remind me most of "home" are oil refineries and fermenting hops.
3. I can eat fire. Yes, flaming batons, inserted into my mouth, on purpose. Make sure Becky isn’t around if you want me to demonstrate – she hates when I do it.
4. I spent a summer with the Continental Singers, performing 81 concerts in 11 weeks, traveling first coast-to-coast from California to Maine and then returning across the continent in Canada.
5. My two older brothers each were killed suddenly – one by lightning and one murdered.
6. I’ve been stopped by the police several times, but have never received a traffic ticket.
7. My first performance with the Vocal Majority chorus was before my biggest audience as a performer – 9,000 to 10,000 people at the Pepsi Center in Denver in 2007. Before that, 8000 with the Continentals at the Long Beach Arena in California, 1981.
8. I can embarrass my children just by threatening to practice my VM choreography in their presence.
9. I was a complete nerd in school. I even co-founded a Star Trek fan club in Junior High.
10. I can quote extensively from Monty Python TV shows and movies. And often do.
11. I have never unintentionally broken any bones in my body. (The only breaks have had were done purposefully to rebuild my ankle in my September 2008 surgery; before that, none.)
12. I’ve had seven years of French class and can barely hold a basic conversation in French.
13. I stopped trusting the press in fourth grade.
14. I lived in Colorado for eleven years, and went skiing only twice – once downhill, once cross country.
15. I’m not a pilot but have subscribed to Flying magazine for over 25 years.
16. I try to limit my friends on Facebook to people I actually know. Except for Jeff Dunham, who graciously agreed to be my token celebrity.
17. The only college sports I follow are Baylor’s, and the only pro team I really care about is the Dallas Stars.
18. I know and am friends with all my cousins on my mom’s side of the family. I don’t even know how many cousins I have on my dad’s side.
19. Although I’ve sung in church choirs all my life, in school through high school I was just in instrumental music – playing the violin.
20. I never drank coffee until Starbucks came along.
21. Going to law school was a last-minute decision. I sat for the LSAT as a walk-in, with no prep course, and scored in the 99.7th percentile.
22. As a college student, I was one of those rowdy basketball fans who sat behind the opponent’s bench and taunted them the whole time.
23. Most people can take Benadryl to calm effects from allergies, but not me. I am allergic to Benadryl.
24. I am distantly related to Judge Robert E.B. Baylor, co-founder of the university, and supposedly also to Jerry Lee Lewis, Mickey Gilley, and Jimmy Swaggart.
25. I once went to an R-rated drive-in movie – in a church van.