Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The World of Wombat is thrilled and honored to announce a new association with the pre-eminent directory of online funny stuff, Without further ado, let's get right to the FAQ's:

Q: Just how much of an honor is this?

A: A tremendous, nay unspeakable honor, well beyond any other honor bestowed by mortal man.

Q: Isn't that overstating it a bit?

A: Yes.

Q: What does one have to do to be associated with

A: It may surprise you to hear that there is a years-long, painstaking review process by a team of leading academicians, theologians, and proctologists. It would certainly surprise the folks at, since it is not true. Actually all it means is that I registered this site there, and eventually they may get around to reviewing it and directing some traffic my way.

Q: Why do you keep showing the link to

A: Good question. I am hopeful that the good people at will appreciate the effort to send some visitors their way and speed up the reviewing process.

Working in my favor, also, is that founder Diesel is a close personal friend, owing to the strong, abiding bond forged by the fact that we've each posted a message on the other's site once or twice -- plus I'm aiding him in his quest to get more airplay for Huey Lewis.

Working against me is the sad reality that this blog only has three regular readers. I am therefore not likely to be able to drum up much cross-traffic. (The print edition of this blog is, however, wildly popular in nursing homes.)

Q: Are there any requirements for being listed at

A: One requirement is that the blog be updated frequently, at least once a week. Since up until now I've been operating on the less-stringent "whenever I feel like it" standard, this will likely result in more posts here.

Since my brain won't be any more creative, however, prepare for essays about what I'm having for lunch or things I read in the newspaper. (I'm also about to leave for a two-week vacation, so prepare to be disappointed if you expect a post next week.)

Q: Wait, if this is we're talking about, aren't you also required to be funny?

A: (a) Technically, yes, they strongly suggest that. But (b) I've read some of the blogs linked there, and there doesn't appear to be much oversight. And (c) Hey, just what are you implying here??

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Wonderful Counselor

"Counselor" is one of the titles that I wear in my professional life. It says it right on my law license: "Attorney and Counselor at Law." The "attorney" part generally means that I can represent someone, that is, act in their place in legal matters. As a "counselor," I am able to give advice to my clients, on what steps to take to stay legal, to benefit themselves, to not improperly harm others. (It's also often used to address a fellow attorney -- particularly useful when you've forgotten their name!)

At this time of year we're often reminded of the verse in Isaiah that foretells the coming of God's Anointed One, the Messiah, Jesus, and says He will be called the "Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace." For some reason this year I've been struck by the first one, from a lawyer's point of view.

Lawyers are counselors, but not always good ones. (After all, as the old adage goes, it's 98% of lawyers that give the other 2% a bad name!) But Jesus is the wonderful counselor. He gets it right. You can trust His advice. You can follow His lead. He is the Way -- to stay legal (righteous before God), to benefit yourself, to do good to others.

Wherever you are in life -- close to God or far from Him -- there is a Wonderful Counselor available to you. Turn to Him. Trust Him.

(Not sure where to start? Click here for help.)

From all of us here at Wombat Central, have a very blessed and Merry Christmas!

BRWombat & family

Thursday, December 06, 2007

This is a great idea!

If you're like me and love finding internet time-fillers, here's one that is interesting, educational, and helpful to others all at once. The website is The site is a fun (and challenging!) vocabulary quiz, and by playing it you help provide rice to hungry people in the world!

The concept is simple but amazingly creative:

1. A banner ad appears at the bottom of each question page.
2. The advertisers pay a certain amount per view to the website.
3. The ad money is donated to the United Nations World Food Program.

SO... the more you play, the more will be donated to feed the hungry! Currently the rate is 20 grains of rice per question answered correctly (up from an original 10). As web traffic increases and ad revenue goes up, the web site's organizers hope to increase that amount further.

Finally, a website that lets you feel good about wasting your time there! Visit soon, play often.