Thursday, December 07, 2006

The "Donut Man" and the passing of time...

I had a rare treat this past Sunday -- the "Donut Man," Rob Evans, was in concert at my church (His website is here). Technically, it was an event for preschoolers (a "birthday party for Jesus"!), but I was excited to see him myself. You see, my kids grew up on his videos, and they loved the "no-nut man," as Brandon used to call him. They knew his songs and played those videos over and over (and over and over and over...). So when we finally got to see him live, we jumped at the chance.

Okay, our boys are no longer preschoolers, and Brandon (our 6th-grader) in particular really didn't want to admit that he was the least bit excited to be there, but we worked around that -- he and I went to the concert to work on the tech crew! In fact, Brandon manned one of the cameras all by himself for the first time (now one of the youngest cameramen we have). I still managed to cajole he and his brother into meeting the man and getting the above picture with him. It almost makes me misty-eyed to see them all together and realize how quickly my boys have grown!

The concert provided a bit of a tech crew "first" for me, too. I got to "switch" during the concert -- that is, sit in the control room and operate the console that selects which camera or other video input is on screen. (This picture of the Donut Man concert was from my vantage point.) It took a bit of concentration (I don't have the longest attention span), but I managed to make it through without too many mistakes! Great fun, and a good evening all around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaa! I can't believe you put this on the internet!

Anonymous said...

Takes me back to the good old days of working the board for my local cable access sation back before I moved to FL. I may not have been the youngest person they ever trained, but I WAS the youngest person to be credited on 50 shows (and 100 when I hit that milestone)

Anonymous said...

That face to the left of Donut Man looks very familiar. Ha Ha Ha