Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Wombat Book Club

I'm not Oprah, so I don't expect this endorsement to sell millions of copies (sorry, Janey!), but I highly recommend Jane Hampton Cook's newest release Battlefields & Blessings: Stories of Faith and Courage from the Revolutionary War. The author is a friend, the wife of a former college roommate (and best man at my wedding)... but don't let that stop you from getting this book -- it is very worthwhile.

Battlefields & Blessings is a fascination collection of devotionals framed around the Revolutionary war and the devout faith of the early patriots who founded our nation. It is structured for a full year of daily readings, organized into a weekly pattern: Sunday's devotional draws from a sermon of the era, the weekday studies revolve around the life of one of the many interesting participants in the conflict, and the Saturday reading provides a modern application.

I suppose I should add a disclaimer, lawyerly type that I am... I did contribute in a small way to the book. One of my earliest entries on this very weblog (here) was adapted on one of the modern application days.

But don't let that keep you away either. :-)

No comments: