Thursday, July 02, 2009

Contest Eve

Tomorrow may be all about the gold, but tonight is about rest.

We stop by the snack shop on the way back to the room, but with the buffet stuff I just had I’m content with some Gatorade and a bag of chips. Brandon’s the same. Becky orders a smoothie, and Benjamin wants a cheese pizza. Both of those take a while to prepare, so I pay and then head back to the room, leaving them to collect their food when it’s ready.

Back in the room, I eat and then crash. For some time I debated whether to go to the AIC Show this evening. Also held at the Honda Center, this is the show put on by the Association of International Champions – the select group of men who have won the Quartet Gold Medal over the years. Several champion quartets perform – this year including Max Q, OC Times, and Fred – and a chorus made up of AIC members also performs.

Also on the program this year is Dick Van Dyke and his quartet, the Vantastiks. I know my parents and aunt & uncle are planning on going, and I’ve always wanted to go. I just knew I couldn’t guarantee if I’d be able to go, after a day and a half of rehearsals. Plus, the main one I wanted to see was Dick Van Dyke, and I got to see him up close and personal yesterday. Hey, we almost brushed sleeves he and I are practically close personal friends now!

So, I pass. Surprisingly, so does my immediate family. The boys decide to go swim (and find Bob & Linda by the pool). I rest, and even fade off to sleep. I get up later, around 8:00, first to shower, and then I go out on the balcony and watch the sunset. I return to bed around 8:40, but I’m still awake when 9:30 rolls around so, I watch the fireworks out the window. That’s still so cool!

The Vocal Majority’s tradition is that you are a rookie until you win your own gold medal, so I’ve been a rookie since I joined the group in the Spring of 2007. I fade to sleep shortly after 10 p.m., with the thought on my mind that this is very likely my last night as a rookie.

Contest tomorrow…

No comments: