Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Enthusiasm

Except for my aunt & uncle, my family had departed the ballroom before the end of the rehearsal – in time to see the fireworks again, I think – so I head back to our room by myself.

I’m bowled over by the reception I get when I walk in the door. Becky, Brandon & Benjamin are bubbling with excitement, talking about how amazed they were at the VM.

That may seem odd, but of course for them the Vocal Majority is a completely different experience than it is for me. They see all of our shows, of course, and enjoy them immensely, but for the most part the VM is something that takes Dad away on Thursday nights (and for the past couple of months on Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, too!). They see Dad at home working notes – or running choreography, to their endless embarrassment. Like anyone who has a family member who is passionate about something that they are not, they politely put up with my rambling about the latest chorus news, but without the same level of interest. It’s only natural.

(Actually, Benjamin and I have come to a sort of happy truce lately – he gets to ramble about the latest NBA news, and I get to ramble about VM. Hey, we’re bonding on our own terms!)

I’m reminded that, however much they’ve kept up with my rehearsal schedule, none of them has been able to attend a rehearsal, and before tonight none of them had seen the contest set at all. My talk about the amazing nature of the set was just that talk.

But now, at last, they’ve witnessed it for themselves. And for the first time they are personally caught up in the excitement that’s been building in me for months.

It’s like breathing fresh air to me – I’m pretty passionate about this, but it’s “my thing,” not theirs. I’ve longed for them to get caught up in the fun themselves. They’re fully on board now!

Brandon can’t stop talking about how much energy the performance gave him, and how no matter how much he tried, he could not take his eyes off of us. That makes me smile. That’s exactly the response we are working for.

I say to Benjamin, “I bet you didn’t know your dad could move like that!” He replies with an immediate and resounding, “NO!” I’ll… take that as a compliment.

It’s late and I’m tired, but I’m also soaked in perspiration. The shower is calling.

I’m grateful it has a handrail to hold onto.

No comments: